Monday, February 21, 2005

"Men of principles are always bold, but those who are bold are not always men of principle." -Confucius

So the man on the news said, "Nashville Police are worried about a bold purse-snatcher..." Which made me wonder, is there such a thing as a timid purse-snatcher, and if so, would you worry about him?

Not being in the habit of carrying a purse myself I can only give my best guess. I suppose anyone equally timid or extraordinarily timid would have cause to worry about a timid purse-snatcher if the purse-snatcher was comparitively bold. Still, I really don't think there is such a creature as the timid purse-snatcher. I think purse-snatching is necessarily a bold profession...or hobby...or habit...crime. Whatever it is. Even if a person who snatches purses is timid in all other aspects of his or her life, they must display some boldness to actually snatch a purse.

Therefore, to answer my own questions: No, I don't believe there is such a thing as a timid purse-snatcher, though under extenuating circumstances I'm sure an otherwise timid person could boldly snatch a purse.

But I'm not worried about them.


"Inspiring, bold John Barleycorn, What dangers thou canst make us scorn!"
-Robert Burns

"Virtue is bold, and goodness never fearful."
-William Shakespeare

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home