Sunday, April 24, 2005

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." ~~Frank Leahy

Jim Thome, first baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies, recently gave an interview in Sports Illustrated. When they asked him about Jim Thome Drive, by his high school near Peoria, he had this to say..."At time I make a detour to drive down it. I do it every year before I got to spring training. It's a way of keeping me humble." I don't know about you, but it seems to me that going out of your way to drive down a street named after you doesn't exactly scream 'meekness'. Although, according to Jim Thome logic, imagine how full of himself Sadaam Hussain would have been if it wasn't for all those statues and murals of himself he had put up all over Iraq. His ego really would have been out of control then.

1 Comments:

At May 07, 2005, Blogger Nathan Nelson said...

Master McLaughlin wrote me to say...

"jim thome drive is actually in bartonville... it goes through a park, and nobody actually uses it for through traffic. it's full of potholes and floods during rain

maybe what's keeping him humble is the fact that his town couldn't even name a decent road after him..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home